Welcome to today’s edition of the Dogwood Daily. We’ve got a round-up of all of today’s Virginia news coming right up. And if you’re a fan, please forward to three friends who need to know what’s going on in the Commonwealth and tell them to subscribe here.
But first …
The election is tomorrow! In Virginia, every vote matters, so we hope everyone will be heading the polls tomorrow. We really, really don’t want the fate of the House to involve any ceramic bowls this go-around.
This special edition of the Dogwood Daily includes all the info you (or your friends!) need to make an informed decision tomorrow.
Seven things you need to know today …
- Know Your District— At the Dogwood we know it can be tough to stay on top of exactly what’s happening in local politics. To help out, we created profiles of candidates in some of the state’s closest General Assembly races. We break down who the candidates are and where they stand on important issues facing the state. -The Dogwood
- And on the issues you care about— We’ve also done an even deeper dive on where candidates in tight races stand, with bulleted lists looking at healthcare, women’s equality and the environment.
- The Dogwood’s Voter Guide– Heading to the polls tomorrow? Please be sure to check out The Dogwood’s Voter Guide. We provide you with information on where to vote, how to update your registration, acceptable forms of ID and what to do if you happen to forget your ID. -The Dogwood
- How to help your candidate- If you are interested in helping out, it’s still not too late! Candidates need as much help as possible in the final stretch. We’ve compiled a guide with easy ways you can help out candidates in some of the state’s tightest races.-The Dogwood
And in other Virginia election news…
- Trump tweets about Virginia’s election– The stakes for tomorrow’s election are high, with Republicans and Democrats vying for control of Virginia’s General Assembly. President Trump joined the fray yesterday, using his Twitter bully pulpit to malign Virginia Democrats and support the Republicans. In a tweet, he gave his “complete and total Endorsement” [sic] to Republican candidate Geary Higgins, who is running against Democrat Rep John Bell for Virginia’s 13th District. He also warned that Democrats would destroy Virginia’s strong economy, seemingly unaware that the state currently has a Democrat in the Governor’s mansion. –The Hill
- Obama endorses Virginia Democratic candidates— Former President Barack Obama endorsed 17 candidates for both the House and Senate in total, including several individuals in particularly tight races, such as Rep. John Bell for Senate and Sheila Bynum-Coleman for the House. Obama said he was “proud to endorse” candidates who would “not only advance the causes of equality, justice, and decency, but help ensure that the next decade of voting maps are drawn fairly.” -The Hill