Most of Virginia to Enter Phase Two of Northam’s Reopening Plan on Friday

Dogwood newsletter

By Arianna Coghill

June 3, 2020

Welcome to today’s edition of the Dogwood. We’ve got a roundup of today’s Virginia news coming right up.

But First…

Former President Barack Obama will address the nation Wednesday about George Floyd’s death and the nationwide protests that have sparked civil unrest. Obama’s address will take place on Wednesday at 5 p.m. EST, live on his website. It will be part of the former president’s “My Brother’s Keeper Alliance Town Hall” series, and will feature former Attorney General Eric Hall along with other activists. 

Five Things You Need to Know Today

  1. All The Peaceful Protests In Virginia You May Not Have Heard Of Yet– While reports of protests turning violent got a lot of coverage, the vast majority of gatherings in the commonwealth were peaceful events that brought together Virginians of all colors and ages, in solidarity against police brutality. We’ve gathered the details on some of the peaceful protests in the state. —  Dogwood

  2. Virginia African-American Leaders Speak on Nights of Protests- After four days of protests in Virginia, many African-American leaders joined Gov. Ralph Northam to address issues in the state that the governor described as “more fundamental” than the COVID-19 pandemic. Leaders like Del. Delores McQuinn have expressed their desire to make not only Virginia but the world a better place. — Virginia Mercury 

  3. Virginia’s Coronavirus Cases Rise by Over 600 Since Tuesday– There are currently 46,903 new reported cases of COVID-19 in Virginia, an increase of 666 since yesterday. According to the Virginia Department of Health, there are currently 4,884 people who have been hospitalized and 1,427 people who have died due to the virus. So far, 340,197 people have been tested for COVID-19 statewide. — Dogwood

  4. About 25% of Virginia Inmates are Living without Air Conditioning- According to the Virginia Department of Corrections, only 75% of inmates in Virginia are living in facilities with air conditioning, leaving the remaining 25% in facilities without AC with summer rapidly approaching. The VaDOC says that they’re putting measures in place to keep inmates without AC safe and are preparing for the “extreme temperatures” that the season can bring. — WRIC

  5. Virginia Hospitals Recognize National Gun Violence Awareness Month- The Virginia Hospital and Healthcare Association is recognizing National Gun Violence Awareness Month. The association released a statement stating that they will be releasing a series of activities and online resources centering around curbing community violence to mark Gun Violence Awareness Day on June 5 and the entire month. — WHSV

CATEGORIES: Uncategorized


Local News

Related Stories
Share This