On November 5, 2019, all 140 seats in Virginia’s General Assembly are up for election. Control of both the House and Senate is up in the air, and Democrats have a shot of flipping both chambers from red to blue.
At The Dogwood we know it can be tough to stay on top of what’s happening in local politics. So we put together guides for districts in Virginia with competitive races to help you understand who the candidates are and what they stand for, and how you can vote. We will be adding races as we get closer to the election, so check this page again if you don’t see your district. (And if you think there’s a district we should highlight, let us know!)
- Stafford County / Fredericksburg City (HD-28)
- Colonial Heights / Chesterfield County (HD-66)
- Suffolk City / Chesapeake City (HD-76)
- Virginia Beach City / Norfolk City (HD-83)
- Virginia Beach (HD-85)
- Newport News City (HD-94)
- Virginia Beach / Norfolk (SD-7)
- Virginia Beach City (SD-8)
- Chesterfield County / Richmond City / Powhatan County (SD-10)
- Loudoun County / Prince William County (SD-13)
HOW TO VOTE
The Virginia Department of Elections has a Citizen Portal where you can update your registration, apply to vote absentee, view your polling place, election district, absentee ballot status, and voting history.
Important deadlines below:
- Register to vote — Tuesday, October 15, 2019
- Request an absentee ballot by mail — Tuesday, October 29, 2019
- Vote in-person absentee — Saturday, November 2, 2019
Last but not least: Election day is November 5, 2019.